The AGO provides a wealth of benefits and opportunities under the guidance of the National Officers; Councillors for Education, Professional Development, Competitions and Conventions, and Finance and Development; Regional Councillors; and working committees — all volunteer leaders of the Guild.
- National and Regional Conventions
- Annual Pedagogy Conferences
- Chapter events: performances, workshops, meetings, and seminars
- Competitions in organ performance, organ improvisation, and organ and choral composition
- Pipe Organ Encounters for teens and adults
- PipeWorks for elementary school children
A comprehensive series of examinations for professional certification provides respected credentials for members and standards of excellence recognized by churches, synagogues, schools, and other employers.
- Service Playing (SPC)
- Associate (AAGO)
- Colleague (CAGO)
- Fellow (FAGO)
- Choir Master (ChM)
- Salary and compensation guidelines
- Model provisions for employment contracts
- Chapter placement services; National job postings
- Assistance with denominational relations
- Support for musical education of clergy
- Management and planning for church musicians
- Eligibility for a free listing in AGO Members Today 2011 which is made available exclusively to members of the AGO.
- THE AMERICAN ORGANIST Magazine, published monthly by the AGO, is the most widely read journal devoted to organ and choral music in the world.
- Articles cover contemporary and historic instruments; musicological studies; reviews of new music, books, and recordings; practical aspects of sacred music; listings of professional resources and events, and news of the field; plus display and classified advertising. Other publications of the Guild include books, recordings, and resources on topics as diverse as performance practice, organ construction, and compensation.
- Chapter newsletters
- Educational brochures, audio and video cassettes, books, monographs, and pamphlets.
AGO Group Insurance
As a member of the American Guild of Organists you are entitled for any of the AGO-sponsored Group Insurance Plans. Take advantage of the AGO’s group buying power while protecting your financial future and that of your family. For more information on the AGO-sponsored Group Insurance Plans, please go to:
- Discounts on AGO convention registration fees and educational resources
- Eligibility for an American Guild of Organists Platinum Plus® MasterCard® credit card from Bank of America
- Liability insurance for chapter events